Saturday, March 1, 2014

I loved these things, and still remember the theme all these years later. Can't believe there's neve

skip to main content
The Barbapapa family are shapeshifters. (In French , Barbapapa's name loosely translates to "Cotton Candy.") Barbapapa was lonely; thus he went on an adventure to find others of his species , only to find that his Barbamama had been laying dormant in the same garden where he'd been first discovered ! He and Barbamama now have seven brightly-colored children. you tube tom and jerry Here are all of their names.
The first ten episodes of Barbapapa (1973) in German--although you can probably follow along easily, no matter what your native tongue. Nine episodes in English. Synopses of the books upon which the cartoon was based. posted by not_on_display (38 comments total) 12 users marked this as a favorite
How to rid the world of Barbapapas: roll 'em in sugar and call 'em Peeps. posted by grounded at 9:59 AM on July 25, 2008
My sisters (born 1969 and 1972) loved these books. The name sounded a little familiar, but as soon as I saw the pictures I remembered every one of their names. posted by yhbc at 10:05 AM on July 25, 2008
Ahhh, memories. you tube tom and jerry Here's a cool ToyHack* for all my fellow ToyHackers and Barbapapa fans: You'll need: -Bag of balloons -Sharpie Marker -Imagination Step one: Inflate balloons to varying sizes. Step Two: Draw eyes, arms and mouth on balloons. Voila! Instant Barbapapa action figures (If you want a Barbabeau, you'll either need a bunch of yarn or a very forgiving imagination)! *Read: We wuz poor. posted by Alvy Ampersand at 10:18 AM on July 25, 2008 [ 1 favorite ]
Holy crap! I had Barbapoppa's Ark as a little girl (born in '74) but had completely forgotten about it until this moment. I loved that book and am totally bidding on it on eBay for my kid now. Thank you! posted by tits mcgee at 10:25 AM on July 25, 2008
PigAlien : " Aren't these just schmoos? " Kirth Gerson : " Is this a Hannah-Barbara production? " No, Shmoo's aren't Barbapapas. Not real Shmoos , that is. Easy to see the confusion, because Hanna-Barbera sucks! posted by not_on_display at 11:09 AM on July 25, 2008
Aren't these just schmoos? NO THEY ARE NOT. BARBAPAPA > SCHMOO. Good lord. WTF? You people are responding as if you've never heard of Barbapoppa. I think it's mainly a Canadian/Euro thing. Most American kids I've known (and knew when i was a kid) had never heard of them, and looked at me with thinly-veiled condescension when i would talk about them. posted by dirtynumbangelboy at 11:25 AM on July 25, 2008
I loved these things, and still remember the theme all these years later. Can't believe there's never been a MeFi post on them before. They always reminded me of Weebles (they wobble but they won't fall down). Also, their houses were always pretty 70s cool, whether from the outside or the inside . I'm going to have that song stuck in my head all day now. "Barbamama, Barbapapa..." posted by stinkycheese at 11:26 AM on July 25, 2008
We own Barbapapa's New House in the 1978 Scholastic edition. We read it to our kids regularly, but it is by no means a real favorite (that would be Daniel Pinkwater's you tube tom and jerry Big Orange Splot ). Hell, if I'd known how much the damned thing was worth, we would have ebayed it a long time ago... posted you tube tom and jerry by Chrischris at 11:29 AM on July 25, 2008
StickyCarpet : " I see a, perhaps somewhat distant, familial relationship to Mr. Blobby . This Mr. Blobby may be a closer relative. you tube tom and jerry " I think Mr. Blobby #1 is more closely related to Mr. Bill . Mr. Blobby #2 is either Calvert DeForest (Larry "Bud" Melman) or StrongSad . All of them likely descended from the same common ancestor. posted by not_on_display at 12:47 PM on July 25, 2008
They always reminded me of Weebles (they wobble you tube tom and jerry but they won't fall down). Ever try to drown a Weeble? Those suckers will fly out of the water like a bullet out of a gun. posted by jonp72 at 9:07 PM on July 25, 2008 [ 1 favorite ]
I used to have a few of the books when I was a kid. Had forgotten about them until Catatonia's song "Part of the Furniture", where she starts by singing "I'll be your Barbapapa". posted by harriet vane at 11:58 PM on July 25, 2008
Thanks, I've been looking for english language Barbapapa's for years. you tube tom and jerry I was really disappointed that Suspect video in Toronto didn't have them when I looked. When I was in Tokyo in the nineties they had several of those photo sticker machines (is there a name for those machines?) with the Barbapapa's on the stickers. Totally you tube tom and jerry made my trip worthwhile. posted by saucysault at 7:16 AM on July 26, 2008
Like Tits McGee, born at a similar time, I too had Barbapapa's Ark as a kid. Also a bunch of other BP (plus TinTin, you tube tom and jerry Spirou, Asterix) comics that I couldn't read because they weren't in English. We also had some squeezy rubber barbapapas, about fist-sized, perfect for the bath. Then again, my father was French. I never saw a cartoon though, so thanks you tube tom and jerry for this. And as for the title, I'm

No comments:

Post a Comment